I recently attended a small gathering and honestly I felt so bored and UND stimulated.
/aɪ ˈrisəntli əˈtɛndɪd ə smɔl ˈɡæðərɪŋ ænd ˈɑnɪstli aɪ fɛlt soʊ bɔrd ænd ʌnd ˈstɪmjəleɪtɪd/
我最近参加了一个小型聚会,说实话,我觉得很无聊,而且毫无参与感。
You know I knew everyone there pretty well.
/ju noʊ aɪ nu ˈɛvriwʌn ðɛr ˈprɪti wɛl/
我和那里的每个人都很熟。
But the conversations just were not flowing.
/bʌt ðə ˌkɑnvərˈseɪʃənz dʒʌst wər nɑt ˈfloʊɪŋ/
但是谈话就是不流畅。
No one was asking follow-up questions.
/noʊ wʌn wʌz ˈæskɪŋ ˈfɑloʊ ʌp ˈkwɛstʃənz/
没有人问后续问题。
And the topics felt very onedimensional.
/ænd ðə ˈtɑpɪks fɛlt ˈvɛri ˌwʌn daɪˈmɛnʃənəl/
话题感觉很单一。
We all want to leave a social setting feeling good.
/wi ɔl wɑnt tu liv ə ˈsoʊʃəl ˈsɛtɪŋ ˈfilɪŋ ɡʊd/
我们都想在社交场合离开时感觉良好。
And on that day I did not.
/ænd ɑn ðæt deɪ aɪ dɪd nɑt/
但那天我没有。
Instead I left frustrated.
/ɪnˈstɛd aɪ lɛft ˈfrʌstreɪtɪd/
相反,我沮丧地离开。
Thinking why is everyone so boring?
/ˈθɪŋkɪŋ waɪ ɪz ˈɛvriwʌn soʊ ˈbɔrɪŋ/
想着为什么每个人都这么无聊?
And the next few days I could not stop thinking about it.
/ænd ðə nɛkst fju deɪz aɪ kʊd nɑt stɑp ˈθɪŋkɪŋ əˈbaʊt ɪt/
接下来的几天我一直在想这件事。
You know, I replayed some of the conversations.
/ju noʊ, aɪ ˌriˈpleɪd sʌm əv ðə ˌkɑnvərˈseɪʃənz/
你知道,我重播了一些对话。
And my head pondering questions.
/ænd maɪ hɛd ˈpɑndərɪŋ ˈkwɛstʃənz/
我的脑海里一直在思考一些问题。
Like what would have made it more enjoyable?
/laɪk wʌt wʊd hæv meɪd ɪt mɔr ɪnˈdʒɔɪəbəl/
比如什么会让谈话更有趣?
And were the others having a good time?
/ænd wər ði ˈʌðərz ˈhævɪŋ ə ɡʊd taɪm/
其他人玩得开心吗?
And of course the dreaded question was I the boring one?
/ænd əv kɔrs ðə ˈdrɛdɪd ˈkwɛstʃən wʌz aɪ ðə ˈbɔrɪŋ wʌn/
当然,最可怕的问题是我才是那个无聊的人?
And all this made me wonder what actually makes a conversation good.
/ænd ɔl ðɪs meɪd mi ˈwʌndər wʌt ˈæktʃuəli meɪks ə ˌkɑnvərˈseɪʃən ɡʊd/
所有这些都让我想知道,是什么让谈话变得好。
And what makes a bad one?
/ænd wʌt meɪks ə bæd wʌn/
是什么让谈话变得糟糕?